Saturday 11 April 2015

Welcome

               Hello there, my name is Patrick Hamilton. Thanks for stopping by and showing interest in my new blog! The purpose of this is most likely just to show what goes on in my weekly life, connect more with people and perhaps exchange information/tips about what I'm doing, but first, a little about me…

     

           I grew up and still do most of my work in Miami Manitoba. I happen to have a great family who is really supportive. I am also fortunate to live in a rural setting with lots of land and resources to work with. I went to Miami collegiate for grades K-12. In my high-school years I started working at DuPont Pioneer in Carman Manitoba as apart of their canola research team. After graduating, I took an opportunity to work at a Pioneer location in Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia for a couple months. Upon returning from my trip to Australia, I began training for a full marathon as apart of Team Diabetes. The race itself took place in Rome, Italy meaning I had another excellent chance to travel the world. In the following year I enrolled at the University of Manitoba where I obtained my Agricultural Diploma. After the completion of my diploma, I extended my education by enrolling within the Agronomy program. Currently I have one remaining term before officially obtaining an Agricultural degree in Agronomy.

         I have been working in a small vegetable garden since I was 15 and now that I am 22 years old, I have a whole acre to experiment with. I’m attempting to grow every kind of available vegetable crop this climate will allow in my garden and so far I’m doing pretty well. Growing vegetables has always been my main passion, however in 2014 I also expanded to producing honey. Last year I took the plunge and purchased 5 hives and with a little bit of book smarts, family support and mentorship I got through it. I am very proud of my first year and I can’t wait for the upcoming season. Some new ventures this year (that you will be able to see me trudge through) include encountering new vegetables (such as sweet potatoes, grains and various others), fruits (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and apples), herbs (to dry and make teas and spices), seed saving, and maple syrup. I've read all the books and am excited to apply everything I have learned.

         I hope to update this webpage weekly if not every few days. If you want to learn more about what I'm all about, check out the, "About" tab above. If you have a question or just want to chat, send me an email.

         Cheers to a great season!

No comments:

Post a Comment